Wednesday 23 January 2013


Hello classmates, bloggers, and friends:

My name is Robert Richards and I'm currently a 3rd year student at the University of Western Ontario, enrolled in the Honours Specialization of Urban Development program. Beyond my undergraduate degree, I will work towards obtaining an MBA in Finance, to pursue my dream to be a financial research analyst. Born and raised in Whitby, Ontario, I have seen firsthand the evolution of Whitby from a small town, to a large urban town on the verge of becoming a city. This environment is one of the main reasons why I have found a passion in urban development, and one of the reasons I have found an appreciation for the urban form. At school I have been lucky enough to be the Finance Executive for the Urban Development Association. This opportunity has given me more insight into the diversity that urban form brings to the world and the opportunities that exist today. With the combination of a drive from an early age, and the tools at the University level, I hope to continue my learning as I dive into the artistic nature behind architecture and urban design.
This blog that I have created will explore not only the history of architecture and urbanism, but it will also involve my insights, beliefs, and critiques of the evolution of the urban world. Throughout the semester, I will be discussing a variety of themes, ideologies, and opinions pertaining to VAH 3388G, hoping to stir conversation about issues with my classmates and friends.
Now that you know more about me, let me use a new urban trend to tell you more about me as an individual.
As a student fascinated with urban design, I have much to learn about architecture from the past as I have never taken an architecture class before. As for my current interests, I am a big supporter of green architecture. This green form transforms how many look at cities, and although not feasible in a variety of aspects, the natural beauty and the social benefits from the environmentally friendly mindset make this urban feature appealing.  The main feature that I like is the use of green roofs. By placing greenery on top of buildings it is appealing for one, but is also reduces the heat on the city which is a very interesting effect in my opinion. A great example is City Hall in Chicago who has taken the green roof to heart and has become a model for the integration of the environment into the urban form.
I look forward to discussing future topics with all of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment